Today we talk about To Dance with Shadows, a book by Ify Tonie-Monye published with our publishing house Europe Books.
Europe Books had the pleasure of interviewing the author Ify Tonie-Monye to get to know her better, what are the main characteristics of the characters described in her book To Dance with Shadows, as well as what she would like to hear from her readers.
Below you can find our interview. Take a seat and enjoy your reading!!!
- What are the human and character traits of the main characters and how they evolve during the events of history?
- Alika: Dogmatic, fanatical and insensitive at times, while remaining stoic and faithful to his master. His vulnerable side is reflected after the pulverization of Iyiawo Imilike’s shrine
- Ateke: Very kind and empathetic
- Chinwe Oliseh: Amicable, intuitive, practical and rational, though grief momentarily made her lose her sense of rationality
- Furo Dokubo: Though initially arrogant and Insensitive, the reality of Kachi’s death mellowed her down a bit
- Iyiawo Imilike: Fearless and Powerful but equally vindictive and insensitive
- Kachi: Very dependable, determined, empathetic, practical and loyal
- Oju Dokubo: Quite supportive, straightforward and a peace loving individual
- Okey Mba: An extremely resourceful, clear-headed, quick-witted and empathetic individual.
- Olachi: Olachi was quite perceptive, ambitious, plucky and empathetic
- Ugochukwu: From the onset you see a patronizing, temperamental, and harsh man but as the story unfolds, a tender and protective side of him is exposed
- Ulunma: Portrays a humble, stoic and tolerant individual who could equally be stubborn and impatient
- Unoaku: Young Unoaku displayed her crafty, persistent and manipulative side whilst being very articulate and ambitious
- What would you like to hear from your readers?
I would like to know what they enjoyed most about the novel, and where they felt the story could have been improved upon. It will also be of benefit to know whether their expectations were met; who’s their favourite character or characters were; and whether they found the story believable and were able to connect with the characters. An insight into what lessons were learned that could possibly help them in real life would be fantastic. Apart from writing romantic tragedies, I’d like to know whether they would like me to stick to that genre or there are other genres they would like me to delve into.
- How would you describe your writing style?
I would describe my writing style as narrative with a fusion of descriptive writing. This with the sole intention of creating vivid pictures of characters, settings and events in the readers’ minds to enable them connect with the characters and story, thus giving them a feeling that they are experiencing the events for themselves. I also like starting my novels in Medias Res, while gradually filling out the plot through dialogues and flashback and by so doing, creating a puzzle that the reader has to unravel. My novels are usually didactic with core messages and themes for the readers to imbibe.
- How did it feel to see your book published?
My first novel, ‘What Goes Around’ was self-published and so, having a publisher show interest in ‘To Dance With Shadows’ and finally seeing it published was quite exhilarating and fulfilling. The book has gone on to win 4th place at the 2021 Switzerland Literary Prize and there is nothing more motivating than that. I’m quite pleased with the way things are going, to be honest. Being a published author came as a huge source of pride for my family and close friends, more especially my Mum who nurtured the skill and talent right from an early age by ensuring I never ran short of books to read.
- Are you already working on a new writing project?
I have three projects presently running concurrently, none of which has gone very far, unfortunately. I usually have the habit of starting many projects at the same time as this helps me deal with Writers’ block. When I find myself stalling on one project, I put that in the back burner and pick up the next project. In addition, I have a very demanding full time job which leaves me with hardly any time for writing but I do manage to write at odd hours. Having said that, my goal is to have another book out by the end of 2022 God willing.
Europe Books thanks the author Ify Tonie-Monye once again for taking the time and answering our questions. We are really pleased to have walked alongside her on the editorial path that led to the publication of her book To Dance with Shadows. We wish her the best of luck for this novel and for her future works.
To you, my dear reader, I wish you to be overwhelmed by this gripping story characterised by the presence of numerous characters and their unique life stories. Furthermore, I hope you could get an insight which could possibly be helpful in your real life, as the author wishes too.
So, my dear reader, all I have to say is to enjoy your reading!